Salty Carmel Ice Cream with Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
FOR ICE CREAM BASE:
1) Place the granulated sugar in the bottom of a heavy-bottom saucepan on medium-high heat until it starts to melt and turn amber brown. Swirl the pan around and adjust your heat as needed so that it doesn't burn.
2) Add the heavy cream. The cream should be room temperature. It will bubble and then settle down. Whisk to make the mixture smooth.
3) Add the butter and whisk until smooth.
4) Add the salt.
5) Transfer to heat-safe bowl and set aside.
6) Heat the milk and cream in a pot.
7) Combine egg yolk and cornstarch mixture with the milk and cream.
8) Place it in a sauce pot to cook and reach 165F.
9) Strain this mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl.
10) Add the caramel into the ice cream base and stir to combine.
11) Place the mixture in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 2 hours.
12) Transfer the base to your ice cream machine and process until it reaches the consistency of gelato.
13) Then you can transfer it to a storage container and freeze overnight.
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking oil spray. Line with parchment paper; set aside.
3. Combine hot melted butter, oil and sugar together in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk well for about a minute.
4. Add the eggs and vanilla; beat until lighter in color (another minute).
5. Sift in flour, cocoa powder and salt. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until JUST combined (do NOT over beat as doing so well affect the texture of your brownies).
6. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top out evenly. Top with chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the center of the brownies in the pan no longer jiggles and is just set to the touch . Test with a toothpick, the toothpick should come out with fudgey look.
8. Cool to room temperature before slicing into 16 brownies.
Other possible ingredients:
1. Almonds, peanut butter chips, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, chocolate chips or chocolate chunks