Salad - Italy
Buffalo Mozzarella Caprese with Basil Vinaigrette
Pairing Challenge: Sancerre vs. Cava
Les Piers Blancs Sancerre vs. Pina Paliciaga Cava Brut
1. Blend all ingredients in blender until basil is very finely chopped and vinaigrette is thick; season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
1. Cut small skin-deep X on end opposite stem of each tomato.
2. Drop tomatoes into saucepan of boiling water; cook 30 seconds.
3. Using slotted spoon, transfer tomatoes to plate.
4. Starting at X, peel skin off tomatoes.
5. Cut off top of the tomato and a v shape slit on the side.
6. Using small spoon, scoop out insides of tomatoes, leaving shells intact.
7. Mix buffalo mozzarella cheese and chopped basil in medium bowl.
8. Divide cheese mixture among tomato shells, packing gently. (Can be made 2 hours ahead.
9. Cover tomatoes and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
10. Place1 filled tomato on each plate. Decorate with tomato top on the side of the tomato.
11. Pour vinaigrette into 6 shot glasses. Place 1 shot glass next to each tomato. Garnish each tomato with basil leaf.
12. Pour vinaigrette over the tomato.